11 Decorative and Functional Ways to Use Worthington Fiberglass Columns
Worthington Millworks’ architectural fiberglass and architectural FRP fiberglass columns are among the best American-made quality columns available. Fiberglass columns have increased in popularity over the last several years due to the many advantages they have compared to traditional wood columns.
Advantages of Fiberglass
Weather and temperatures take their toll on exterior wood columns, especially during the winter months. Tiny cracks in the wood allow moisture in and freeze, causing wood columns to swell, crack and split. Fiberglass columns are not affected by the weather. Here are just some of the advantages of fiberglass columns compared to wood:
- Class A fire rating
- Can be painted
- Consistent quality
- Easy to install
- Lightweight design
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Reduced maintenance
- Resistant to insects, especially termites
- Will not chip, warp, peel or splinter
- Will not rot or decay
Shapes & Sizes
Fiberglass columns come in a variety of shapes and sizes: round, square, hexagonal, round tapered, square tapered and non-tapered; they are available in many diameters and custom lengths.
Our fiberglass columns come in:
- 10 different diameters
- 54 different dimensions
- 15 different cap & base designs options
A critical element in selecting the right columns for your project is the diameter. Different columns, support different weights or “loads”; this is their “load-bearing capacity.” Ignoring load-bearing requirements is not only unsafe, but it can also void the warranty if the load exceeds its load-bearing capacity.
Worthington Millwork’s architectural fiberglass and architectural FRP fiberglass columns are designed to be load-bearing. Our most dynamic columns are the FRP fiberglass, typically used for columns 16″ or greater in diameter. These columns have a filament-wound technology that produces a very lightweight, durable product with load-bearing capacity up to 35,000 lbs. If you are unsure of your project’s requirements, you should consult an architect or structural engineer to confirm the load-bearing requirements of the structure as well as the maximum space between columns.
Installation and Maintenance
As mentioned early, fiberglass columns require much less maintenance and provide many more years of service compared to wood columns. Additionally, fiberglass columns take less time wood columns to install and finish.
How to Use Our Fiberglass Columns
As lightweight, durable, and attractive as they are, our fiberglass columns can be used indoors and outdoors, for load-bearing as well as decorative projects.
Here are just a few examples of some creative uses for our columns:
- Create a backdrop of staggering heights of columns for flowers at an extraordinary event, i.e., wedding, anniversary, graduation
- Create wedding arches or gazebo
- Build arbors and pergolas – our columns will last for many years
- When remodeling your front entry, give it class and style with our columns
- Create decorative mantels – from Roman-Greco to Victorian to Contemporary, and we have many styles to choose from
- Columns at both sides of doorways provide a touch of elegance and sophistication
- Place at corners of oversized entries with open casements, i.e., the Living Room, Dining Room, or kitchen
- Use at the end of knee-walls to define rooms
- Use as decorative accents around porches or to provide support
- Our decorative columns can be used in outdoor sitting areas and porticos to support overhangs
- Create an atmosphere around the pool area with columns and life-size statuary
With over 30 years in the business, Worthington Millwork takes pride in providing the best quality fiberglass columns at the best prices. As industry leaders in architectural columns and millwork, we are dedicated to manufacturing superior made-in-America products. Our promise to you is to deliver the best in class service. Call us today for a free estimate on your next project!